Saturday, May 14, 2016

Twisted Sister - Big Hits & Nasty Cuts: Best of

The two breakthrough hits, the key album tracks and crushing live cuts by Dee and his hard-rockin' brethren! Includes We're Not Gonna Take It; I Wanna Rock; The Price; Under the Blade; Destroyer; Tear It Loose (last two live), and more.
I know that TS was generally embarrased by both the quality and the sales performance of their last two albums ("Come Out And Play" and "Love Is For Suckers") and therefore chose not to have them represented on this compilation, but there were at least three tracks worthy for inclusion - "Leader Of The Pack", "Be Chrool To Your Scuel" and "Hot Love". Yeah, "Leader Of The Pack" is kinda cheesy (watch their "Behind The Music" episode to see how well that song is regarded by those associated with the band), but wasn't Twisted Sister pretty cheesy to begin with? And isn't that what we loved about them? I mean, any of those three songs would've definitely fit better here than the pathetic live tracks at the end of this disc. Their version of the Stones' "It's Only Rock & Roll (But I Like It)" may be the worst cover version ever recorded.
As it is, this record pretends that Twisted Sister ceased to exist after 1984, which is sad. Still, if all you know is "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "I Wanna Rock", there's some hidden gems here. "The Kids Are Back" is my all-time favorite TS song, and "Shoot 'Em Down", "I'll Never Grow Up Now", "The Price", "You Can't Stop Rock & Roll" and "I Am (I'm Me)" are all classic as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment